Teach in Thailand
$1800 per person
If you are looking for a destination with mouth-watering cuisine, stunning beaches, lush jungles, and endless adventure, then look no further – Thailand has all that and more! A fascinating mix of traditional and modern, Thailand is filled with rich culture, magnificent landscapes, lively markets, energetic nightlife, and warm, hospitable people.
Spend your days exploring Thailand’s bustling city centres or serene islands. Learn to scuba dive, eat copious amounts of fresh mango, and say “Chai- yooo” over a delicious plate of pad kee mao! Every day in Thailand is sure to be an adventure. Plus, it’s central location in Southeast Asia will allow you to easily venture off to your other bucket list destinations.
Go beyond the tourist experience as part of SWAP’s Teach in Thailand program. You will be a respected (and paid) English teacher within the Thai school system, helping to improve the language skills of local students while promoting cultural exchange within your new school and its community.
SWAP will make sure your transition to teaching is as easy as possible. You will receive your teaching placement before you leave Canada, including where you’re going and the grade level and size of class you’ll teach. Once you arrive, an airport transfer will take you to your all-inclusive orientation in Chiang Mai or Bangkok that covers teaching techniques and where you will meet other new incoming teachers on the program. You can also participate in fun cultural activities before arriving at your new school to meet the children you will be teaching!
English is the principal foreign language being taught in Thailand. It opens a lot of doors to students who want to pursue work internationally, especially in the corporate world, so they are in need of knowledgeable English teachers! While not all schools are created equally and some may have a higher learning curve than others, SWAP will oversee your stay and ensure the staff and teachers at your school support you and help prepare appropriate curriculums and lessons for the students.
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 8:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
From Our Gallery
Teach in Thailand
Experience Thailand the way no tourist ever could. As part of SWAP's Teach in Thailand program, you'll be as a respected (and paid) English teacher within the Thai school system - helping to improve the language skills of local students while promoting cultural exchange within your new school and its community.
Teach in Thailand
Thinking about taking the leap?
International travel is not without rules. Check these conditions to see if you qualify.Age: Canadians ages 20-50.
Language/Degree Requirement: Applicants must be fully fluent in English and have completed a bachelor’s degree (any major). A TESOL/TEFL certificate is not required.
Nationality: These adventures are open to Canadians only.
Required Savings: Due to legal regulations, participants will need to cover upfront expenses for their work permit, but you will be reimbursed these costs at the end of your teaching contract. Please budget for the work permit (1,600 THB for one semester, 3100THB for two semesters), visa extension (1,900 THB) and a Thai medical exam (800 THB). Depending on the province where your placement is located, an education affidavit ($50 USD), Thai criminal check (100 THB) and document stamp (260 THB) may be required.
Criminal Check: Must have no criminal record.
Health Insurance: Health insurance is required for the duration of your stay.
Registration Timeline: October 2023 Semester - Submit your completed application by July 31.
Duration: Applicants can commit to a five-month (1 semester) OR a ten-month (2 semesters) teaching term.
Start Date: You can start during the May semester (beginning of Thai school year) and the October semester.
The next semester start date is in October 2023. The application deadline to apply for the October 2023 start will be in July 2023.
- A teaching placement arranged by SWAP’s Teach in Thailand team, plus pre-departure support and guidance.
- Your entry visa into Thailand – no in-person appointment at the Royal Thai Consulate required.
- A participant guidebook in your GO SWAP Kit with useful cultural and tourist information, teaching advice and local resources.
- Transportation from the airport to the orientation housing and then to your teaching placement (school campus).
- An all-inclusive orientation in Chiang Mai or Bangkok, which includes:
- TEFL theory and practice
- Teaching methodologies
- Cultural information
- Language classes
- A chance to meet other teachers on the program
- Sightseeing trips and other excursions are provided during the orientation week with other teachers.
- A salary of minimum 28,000 THB (approximately $1,100 CAD) per month.
- Accommodation for the duration of the program – Thailand has a low cost of living, so it is easy to support yourself and live comfortably!
- Contract completion bonus of 20,000 THB for dual semester participants.
- At least one coordinator (usually an English teacher) to help you through the entire length of your teaching program.
- Ongoing support from and guidance from local staff throughout your placement to ensure you are having a great time and enjoying your teaching experience.
Teaching and living in Thailand with SWAP is easy! Feel free to contact us with any questions you have as you get ready to take the first step.Step 1: Make sure you’re eligible to apply.
Step 2: Download the Application Package, read through the information carefully and complete the forms.
Step 3: Send your forms back to SWAP at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work on getting you a great placement.
Step 4: Once your placement is confirmed, we’ll work on getting your visa approved and you work on booking your flight and insurance.
Step 5: We send you your visa and predeparture guide.
Step 6: You depart for an exciting adventure in Thailand!