New Zealand + 4 Day Welcome Week
$950 per person
It turns out the fantasy world of hobbits, dragons, dwarves, and wizards exists in a very real place! New Zealand’s vast landscapes are popular with film crews for a reason. If you were blown away by those stunning mountains, enchanted forests, turquoise lakes, rolling hills, and tranquil rivers on screen, this is your chance to work and travel in New Zealand and experience the magic in person!
New Zealand is the birthplace of bungee jumping, jet boats, and ski planes, with endless opportunities for white water rafting, skydiving, and trekking. The full Kiwi experience involves an adrenaline rush or two – are you ready?
With a population of 4.5 million people (and over 30 million sheep), in a landmass equivalent to that of the UK, most of the time you can see the beauty of New Zealand without the hordes of tourists. But New Zealand is not just geared for outdoorsy types – lively cities like Auckland, New Zealand’s capital, have enough pubs, museums, and shops to keep you busy!
Bilbo Baggin’s called – it’s time to go to work and travel in New Zealand!
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 8:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
Day 1: Welcome to Auckland
Day 2: Meet BUNAC and City Walking Tour
Day 3: Work and Travel Workshop & Auckland Ferry Trip
Day 4: Drop-in Session with BUNAC
New Zealand + 4-Day Welcome Week
Thinking about taking the leap?
International travel is not without rules. Check these conditions to see if you qualify.
Age: You need to be 18-35 years old (you must apply after your 18th birthday and be issued your visa prior to your 36th birthday)
Nationality: These adventures are open to Canadians only.
Required Savings: You must have the amount of $4,200 NZD saved in your account as of the day you submit your application. These are called support funds and are a requirement of the New Zealand government.
Criminal Check: Must have no criminal record.
Health Insurance: Health insurance is required for the duration of your stay.
Registration Timeline: You should be able to travel approximately 8 weeks after you start the application process with us. Do not make travel or accommodation arrangements until your program coordinator lets you know that everything is good to go.
Duration You can stay in New Zealand for up to 23 months. This visa allows for multiple entries into the country.
Start Date: You can start at any time of the year, but we recommend that you plan your arrival around the Welcome Week start dates.
- Expert guidance and SWAP support to have your New Zealand visa approved
- Your GO SWAP Kit, which features helpful visa information and pre-departure tips
- 23-month New Zealand working holiday visa
- Pre-departure online orientation with our New Zealand team
- Access to WhatsApp group with travellers arriving to New Zealand in the same month
- Airport transfer to your hostel in Auckland
- 3 nights’ hostel accommodation in Auckland
- Arrival orientation with our local staff: learn vital information on red-tape issues, how to find work and accommodation, and what to expect while living and travelling in New Zealand + receive our Work in New Zealand handbook
- Fast-track service to obtain a tax number and open a NZ bank account
- Detailed job-hunting and travel planning workshop
- Rangitoto Island ferry ticket
- After-hours emergency line
- Mail-drop and mail-forwarding services in Auckland
- Luggage storage
- Travel planning assistance
- Ongoing guidance and support services in Auckland for the full duration of your stay
Working and living in New Zealand with SWAP is easy! Feel free to contact us with any questions you have as you get ready to take the first step.
Step 1: Make sure you’re eligible to apply.
Step 2: When you're ready to move forward, sign up here.
Step 3: SWAP confirms your registration and welcomes you to the program, sending you instructions on how to book the tour, apply for the visa, and what you need to prepare for your trip.
Step 4: You send your tour booking form and visa application back to us and we help to secure your visa and confirm your start date.
Step 5: Once everything is confirmed, we send your visa and pre-departure materials to you.
Step 6: You arrive in Auckland, go to the hostel, and get ready for Day 1 of your arrival itinerary.
Step 7: Start the most exciting year of your life in stunning New Zealand!
*Don’t forget to budget for your flight, health insurance, and your required savings
Contact our team for 2023 start dates!