Work in Japan
$400 per person
Picture yourself soaking in an onsen, wandering through dreamy cherry blossoms, diving into a warm bowl of delicious ramen, and singing your heart out to karaoke. Work and travel in Japan combines rich cultural heritage with stunning landscapes and spectacular modernity, Japan is like nowhere you’ve ever been before, making it the perfect working holiday destination. We’re sure you’ll feel the same! Equipped with a year-long work permit, you will have the incredible opportunity to immerse yourself in Japanese culture and language while making international connections and lifelong friends. Start getting excited! SWAP will support you as you plan your adventure of a lifetime in Japan, helping you to secure a bank account, phone, accommodation, and work. Let us figure out the complicated logistics so you can spend more time sipping sake and taking in the beautiful views as you work and travel in Japan!
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 8:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
Work in Japan
Thinking about taking the leap?
International travel is not without rules. Check these conditions to see if you qualify.
Age: You need to be 18-30 years old (you must apply after your 18th birthday and be issued your visa prior to your 31st birthday)
Nationality: These adventures are open to Canadians only.
Required Savings: You must have the equivalent of $3,500 CAD saved in your account as of the day you submit your application. These are called support funds and are a requirement of the Japanese government.
Criminal Check: Must have no criminal record.
Health Insurance: Health insurance is required for the duration of your stay.
Registration Timeline: You should be able to travel approximately 12 weeks after you start the application process with us. Do not make travel or accommodation arrangements until your program coordinator lets you know that everything is good to go.
Duration: You will get a 6-month single entry visa. You can extend it a further 6 months once you are in Japan. There is also an option to apply for multiple entries for traveling in and out of Japan during your stay.
Start Date: You can start at any time of the year!
Work and Travel in Japan Includes:
- Expert guidance and SWAP support to have your Japanese visa approved
- 6-month single entry Japanese working holiday visa (this can be extended a further 6 months once you are in Japan)
- 2 nights of hostel accommodation in Tokyo
- Your GO SWAP Kit, which includes helpful pre-departure information and a comprehensive guide on all things Tokyo
- Employment assistance at the local working holiday job centre
- Support from local bilingual (English/Japanese) staff to help with translation, as well as navigating life in Tokyo, for your entire working holiday
- Access to computers, internet access, and free Wi-Fi at GenkiJACS (Genki Japanese Language and Culture School)
- 24/7 after-hours emergency number
- Organized social events
- Access to an additional resource centre in Fukuoka if you travel during your working holiday (all SWAP Japan arrivals should be in Tokyo for full membership benefits)
Working and living in Japan is easy with SWAP! Feel free to contact us with any questions you have as you get ready to take the first step.
Step 1: Make sure you’re eligible to apply.
Step 2: When you're ready to move forward, sign up here.
Step 3: SWAP confirms your registration and welcomes you to the program, sending you instructions on how to apply for the visa, and what you need to prepare for your trip.
Step 4: You send back your visa documents to us, and we forward them on to the Embassy of Japan.
Step 5: Your visa gets approved, and then we book your arrival accommodation.
Step 6: We send your visa and pre-departure guide for you to go over before you depart.
Step 7: You arrive in Tokyo and start the best year of your life, working and living in Japan!
*Don’t forget to budget for your flight, health insurance, and your required savings