Summer Work USA
$1400 per person
Have you ever wanted to work at a surf shop in the Outer Banks and spend your ten-minute break hanging ten? How about getting paid to lifeguard in Ocean City or spend your mornings guiding hikes through the Colorado mountains? The Summer Work USA program gives you the chance to live the American Dream and work a seasonal job during your summer break from school. From bustling cities to quaint beach towns and picturesque national parks, the possibilities for summer fun are endless!
If you’re a full-time post-secondary student or a 2023 graduate, you can experience a summer living and working alongside locals and using your downtime to meet new friends and explore the USA. With the cost of living being substantially lower than in Canada and a strong US dollar, there’s no better time to live and work in the US! Securing your job before entering the country means you can hit the ground running and start making money as soon as you arrive. You’ll find that the program pays for itself quickly and allows you to cover some of your travel as well. You will get a feel for the American way of life, gain valuable work experience, and add to your resume. But it’s not just all about work – from road-tripping Route 66 to standing in awe of the Statue of Liberty and celebrating the 4th of July in style – it can all be part of your red, white, and blue summer!
When you GO with SWAP, you’ll always get our personalized support. From getting through intimidating paperwork to securing a limited J-1 visa, getting essential information, and insuring your travels – SWAP’s got you covered every step of the way!
DeparturePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Departure TimeApproximately 8:30 PM.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat and warm jacket.
Summer Work USA
Thinking about taking the leap?
International travel is not without rules. Check these conditions to see if you qualify.Age: You need to be 18-30 years old and a current full-time student of the 2022/23 academic year in a Canadian post-secondary institution.
Nationality: These adventures are open to Canadians only.
Job Requirement: You must have an official summer job offer from a seasonal employer in the USA in order to apply. If you are unsure whether your summer job is eligible for the program, please contact our team.
Required Savings: The US government requires that you have proof of at least $1,200 USD in your own funds at the time of application.
Criminal Check: Must have no criminal record.
Health Insurance: Health insurance is required for the duration of your stay.
- A one-on-one virtual meeting with SWAP where we will go over the program specifics with you, determine your job's suitability to the Summer Work USA program requirements, walk you through the application process, and answer any questions you may have.
- Personalized SWAP assistance reviewing the necessary application forms, ensuring they are completed correctly before submission to the US government.
- Your summer J-1 visa and SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) registration.
- Travel insurance that will cover you for your entire time in the US, as mandated by the American government.
- Your GO SWAP Kit, which includes:
- Your summer J-1 visa document
- SEVIS receipt
- Online participant handbook with important information on SEVIS, applying for Social Security, and taxes.
- Canadian-specific instructions regarding the visa rules and regulations that will apply to you as a J-1 visa holder
- Online pre-departure orientation prior to leaving Canada.
- Our staff in the US will monitor your summer job on an ongoing basis to ensure that everything is going well with your employer.
- Support from local US staff for the duration of your trip, including access to a toll-free, 24/7 emergency number.
Working and living in the USA with SWAP is easy! Feel free to contact us with any questions you have as you get ready to take the first step.Step 1: Make sure you’re eligible to apply.
Step 2: After you've arranged a seasonal job offer in the USA, email email@example.com to let us know you're ready to move forward with best summer of your life.
Step 3: After confirming your program eligibility, we’ll send you the Summer Work USA Profile Package and information outlining the visa application process.
Step 4: We’ll set up a video chat with you to go over the program, your eligibility, discuss your job in the USA and the process that you’ll need to follow, and any questions you have.
Step 5: You complete the online application and wait for visa approval.
Step 6: Once approved, we’ll send your visa documentation and your pre-departure guide to you.
Step 7: Now you're finally ready to live and work in the United States of America!